The MLK Dream Run benefits youth development and empowerment by collaborating with programs that break the cycle of economic inequities and disparities in our communities.
2014 MLK Dream Run beneficiaries include:
"I Have a Dream" Oregon whose vision is that every child, no matter how disadvantaged, has the opportunity, support and resources needed to succeed in school, graduate from high school, and pursue their dreams of higher education and economic independence.
The NNEBA Fellows Program which provides young men and women (16-26) the opportunities to improve and expand skills that comes from operating successful businesses and organizations. Simultaneously their work plan is designed to both connect them with the business community while leaving a sustainable and positive impact in this community.
North by Northeast Community Health Center which improves health outcomes in a medically under-served community by offering health screening and basic medical services at no cost. Priority is given to low-income individuals without health insurance living in the surrounding inner N/NE neighborhoods.
Special Thanks to our Elite Motivational Mile Marker Sponsors! They will be posting encouraging messages throughout the race, keep an eye out.
McMenamins, Tri-Met, Kaiser, Neil Kelly, PDC, Widmer Brothers, Concordia University, Port of Portland and Pacificorp
The Event Overview
Location: The vacant lot on the corner of NE MLK & Alberta Street, Portland, Oregon 97211
- Saturday August 2, 2014 5pm-9pm- “Taste of the Dream” Our pre-race kickoff and community celebration
- Sunday August 3, 2014 6:00 am-noon- The MLK Dream Run-5k,10k & 15K race and Award Ceremony
Components of the Sat Aug 2nd Taste of the Dream Pre-Event include
- Free entry
- Dignitary addresses, including the First Lady of Portland Mrs. Nancy Hales
- Small Business "Exboutique"- booths displaying community products and services
- Music and entertainment: Linda Hornbuckle, N'Touch, Javier Nero, Tamera Stephens
- Acknowledgment of sponsors and the "Elite 17" Mile Marker Supporters
- Acknowledgement of our NNEBA Youth Fellow entrepreneurs
- NNEBA membership appreciation & activities
- Community engagement
- Messaging tied to the impact that the "I Have A Dream" speech as well as the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights Act in 1964
- Pre-Race final registration opportunities
- Food and beverage. Including delicious Widmer Brothers Brew and Treats from Soul District Businesses
Components of the Sun Aug 3rd MLK Dream Run Race includes
- Last year’s run attracted nearly 1,000 world class and amature athletes including race winners- former Olympic Qualifying runners Ryan Vail and Jared Basset.
- The race also honor’s the vision of Dr. King’s “I Have A Dream” speech given in Aug 1963. This year will be the 50th anniversary of the Signing of the Civil Rights Act.
- Celebrates the Vibrant Soul District Business Communities
- Support the Youth Development and Empowerment programs
- Raffle prizes opportunities, food and drink for all participants- Widmer brew for all participants over 21